Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas parties

Chronological order of work Christmas parties I've attended:

2008: In Puebla, Mexico. No wine or alcohol served. Bad food (I decided not to take the vegetarian option, thinking they'd serve traditional Mexican food, but unfortunately it was steak - I only ate the vegetables and was hungry). There was great entertainment though, singing, dancing, and circus-type dancers on stilts!

2009: In Puebla, Mexico. No wine or alcohol served. OK food (learning from my previous mistake, I opted for the vegetarian option. It was a vegetarian lasagna that left me hungry, whereas my friends got turkey and all the fixings). There were most likely prizes. I know there was a bit of line dancing, but overall, this party does not stand out in my memory. My friends and I most likely did something more fun together afterwards.

2010: Montreal. Lots of wine, great food, the school gym was decorated and the entertainment was awesome. Teachers had dressed up and made us laugh. Dancing was great and a good time was had by all.

2011: Montreal. Incredible decorations including a champagne pyramid, an ice sculpture, carved fruit. The food was also incredible: cheese, shrimp, escargots, foie gras, fruit, salads, deserts! No singing or dancing. Prizes were also amazing: we all received gift certificates and there were more individual draw prizes. Crazy prizes like trips, watches, etc. were given!

Family Christmas parties are different in that they usually involve carolling or singing and musical instruments, traditional Québecois food (tourtières, cassoulet, fèves aux lard, etc.), decorating gingerbread houses, and children running, screaming and playing.


My own Christmas parties I hosted in Mexico included decorating, deserts, music, and Home Alone.

Why am I telling you all this? I don't know, but I feel like each of the parties I attended give an impression of the values the school upheld. If this same statement applies, what does that say about me?

No comments:

Post a Comment