Monday, August 15, 2011

Choosing my religion

I've started going to church again. And after stating that, I always feel I have to defend myself. If I said, "oh I'm going for a run" or "I'm heading to the gym" that would be OK and accepted by society. But church? Why would I do that?

I've mentioned this in previous posts and I'll repeat it again. I strongly believe that humans have to evolve in three spheres (perhaps there are more I haven't noticed yet) in order to feel content, or at least I do. These are the intellectual, physical and spiritual sides of self. I think that our society is obsessed with the first. You have to be smart, study a ton, and work a ton in order to be successful, right? Oh and then comes in the second part - if you don't look 'just right' you won't get as far in life, so you better be active. I feel that the spiritual side often gets ignored.

I've had a strong sense of faith since I was very young and I know that a lot of this is inherited from what my parents taught me and the fact that I grew up going to church on Sundays and to Catholic school. I think my sense of faith has stuck with me though, a faith that I describe as knowing that there is a benevolent force out there, knowing that we all fit together somehow, that we have a purpose and are not just here haphazardly. This sense of faith is a great feeling that is with me pretty constantly, but nurturing that spiritual side of myself has been a new 'need' of sorts. I like to take time to think, pray, meditate, and just 'be'. It helps make me feel centred. But, with a job, friends, husband, life, errands, that time - not just 'alone time' but spiritual time always seems to be the first thing scratched off the 'to-do' list.

I'm still not convinced that I believe in organized religion, so maybe I'm taking the easy way out here. But Catholic church is what I know. I like the tradition of it, I like knowing what to expect, I like gaining a better understanding of Bible stories. Maybe I should really look around and find something that feels just right for me, because I have to admit, I still sometimes feel like a fraud in church. Like maybe I'm not quite supposed to be there because I'm still taking out the bits that I like and not accepting the whole thing. But shopping around for a religion also feels wrong. I like the idea of Ramadan, and I have yet to try the Unitarian church Dawn mentioned a while back. But for now I know that going to church once a week makes me feel good, helps me grow and is making me more aware of who I am and what I believe in. I guess there is no short answer when someone asks "Why do you go to church?"

2 comments:

  1. We don't know each other, and I only stumbled on your blog. But in reading this post I felt that I should comment. First, I want to congratulate you on the decision to strengthen your spiritual life. All of us are in need of it, and all of us fall off the wagon, so please don't feel like a fraud; if you're a fraud, then we're all frauds.

    But second, I want to encourage your renewed desire for faith to be a search after the objective rather than the subjective (shopping for what 'feels' good). Our emotions are fleeting, and we have little control over them. Reason and truth are what our spiritual lives should be grounded in.

    If one believes that Jesus is God, then I think the answer of what church one should attend is straightforward enough. Jesus founded only one church (Mt. 16:18), and the only Christian church in existence today which also existed at the time of Christ is the Catholic Church. Every other church was founded by some man (or woman) after Christ (most, 1500 years after).

    The fact that you struggle in accepting all that the Catholic Church teaches is a normal and human struggle. I would encourage you to continue learning the truths of the Church, and how she arrived at them. (If you do not already own it, the Catechism is a great resource http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/ccc_toc.htm)

    Finally, if you haven't already, I would invite you to read C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. It is an excellent overview of our faith which expounds on many of the thoughts you've made here.

    God bless you.

    -Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah-Eve! I hadn't seen your blog for a while! How awesome that God is calling you back! I really believe that's what it's all about... it is more than you coming back to God, it's him calling you back.

    Although I am not catholic, I believe it is not about what church you go to, but rather, what God you serve. It is all about Jesus. If you are centering your life on Jesus' love, reading the Bible to understand what He is all about, and follow him, then the building you attend once a week, will not make a differene.

    The other issue is communion with others who want to follow Christ as you do... then, feeling connected is important, so that you know that when you strugle, there are people who are on the same timeline as you are, to support you!

    So, when are you coming to visit?

    Best,
    Dalit

    ReplyDelete