Friday, April 1, 2011

If that was an April Fool's joke, it was NOT FUNNY!

I had the most awful teaching day today. I really hope my students weren't trying to be funny, because they really weren't. The day started OK, but they were noisy and obnoxious from the get-go. Then they had English class with another teacher who was almost in tears afterwards. She had to have them do an exam and they were silly and loud and when she asked for their agendas to write notes to the parents they THREW them at her! I was enraged! There was a student against teachers hockey game at lunch-time recess that I didn't allow them to watch - they had to sit with their heads on the desk and reflect about what it means to be a good student. Then they were quiet and did their work and were well-behaved for an hour. Then they went to afternoon recess and came back to activity time (I was worried because they have more freedom and they can talk, but I figured they could handle it). They were pretty good, I had to remind them about their indoor voices a few times, but nothing too crazy. The end of the day rolled around and they had to pack their backpacks and became so rambunctious! They were running, screaming, throwing each other things... I was speechless! I let them know how awful their behaviour was and told them if I were in their shoes I would be ashamed of myself! I've reflected and thought about it for the past little while and I know I haven't done anything differently. I have the same rules, routines and procedures in the class. I am applying the rewards and consequences the same way I have been since day one. I know everyone has bad days, but this was like all 29 of them having a hay-day at the same time! I am leaving in two weeks though, and they know this, so I think they might be reacting to that, but I hate making up excuses for them. They were just misbehaving. I guess it happens to the best of us.

On a more positive note, I signed a contract for the next school year. I'm back in Kindergarten at a school that is super close to where I currently live! I'll be teaching in French. The school is opening Kindergarten classes for the first time ever so I can help plan the program and set everything up and there is a possibility of long-term at this school, which is very exciting! We'll see if I like it, it seems pretty strict, but I might find I have enough freedom in my own classroom.

I hope you had a better April fool's than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment