Friday, March 1, 2013

Homemade mayo - NOT!

I realize the title to this blog post is super nineties. I guess kids these days say something else. Anyway, today was the second time I've tried to make homemade mayo and ended up with a gooey mess. My friend and my brother have both showed me how to make it and I follow their instructions step by step, but it just doesn't seem to work out!

The first time I tried, I used extra virgin olive oil. BIG MISTAKE! It tastes horrible! I also made a huge batch that I ended up throwing out, and I don't like being wasteful, so this time around I figured I'd make a smaller amount. Also, since last time I had a lot of liquid, I was able to make it in the blender.

This time around, I started playing the egg yolk in the blender and the liquid went to the bottom so the blender was useless. Then I started adding canola oil and whipping it with a fork, as my brother had showed me. After whipping for about 15 minutes, my arm was tired and my mayo looked like this (right).

I added more oil, kept whipping and then added lemon juice and salt to make it tastier and 10 minutes later ended up with a nice strong right arm, and this (left). I don't know if you can tell here but it is actually runnier than when I started. Urg! So I threw out another batch of mayo and for the moment am returning to store-bought mayo because not only do I prefer the flavour, but the texture as well!




This isn't just a rant though. I will leave you with a few beautiful pictures I took this week, since we got quite a bit of snow!


Here's a better view of the tree I was talking about a few posts ago



1 comment:

  1. hello! On a vécu la même déception, mais avons trouvé la solution!!! En plus c'est en vidéo avec un super accent français ;)

    http://www.marmiton.org/pratique/techniques-culinaires-video-cuisine_faire-une-mayonnaise.aspx

    Donnes-moi des nouvelles de ta réussite ;)

    ReplyDelete