Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Africa Project Idea

Africa Project Idea

Long-term Goal  (25 years from now):  help manage a school in Africa (ideally my own school in Monrovia, Liberia)

Medium-term Goal (5 years): volunteer with an NGO in an African country helping to:
·      Train teachers
·      Develop curriculum
·      Build schools
·      Set up reading programs, etc.

Short-term Goal (this summer - 2011): work in an NGO to help the development of education in Africa
            Steps I can take to make it happen:
·      Post on Facebook to see if any friends have contacts of where I could work or intern this summer
·      Do a needs analysis:
o   Which African country would I want to work in?
o   Is it French or English speaking?
o   What is the government like?
o   Is the situation stable?
o   Are all children expected to go to school?
o   Does the government help fund education?
o   What are the private schools like?
o   What NGOs are currently established in the country?
o   Do I have contact with anyone living, volunteering or teaching there?
o   Are there any Canadian NGOs there?

*If you are reading this and can help me achieve my dream in any way, shape or form, I'd be glad to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. Love your drive and passion my dear! I'd like to come see your school someday...maybe even teach there... and bring my kids. I know this will happen for you! All the best in getting there!

    ReplyDelete