Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My personal pensieve

Moving back to my parent's temporarily means going through 6 huge boxes in the garage and deciding what is worth keeping. I'm not a hoarder - at least I don't think I am - but I do like to keep things. And really, old notes, drawings, and letters all act like a pensieve because as I read and looked for hours and hours on end, I felt myself being magically transported back to that moment in time and re-living the memory.

I made a few interesting finds that I will share with you today:

I wrote this in 1999 as a part of an 'all about me' project. I have one of those projects for each year of my life, approximately and I find that not much has changed. In general, I still have the same core values I discovered I had when I was about five years old: mainly that all people are equal and have the right to be treated as such. Anyway, I still think arguing about politics is pretty boring, but I now realize it needs to be done. Ironically and funnily enough, the people closest to me who argue about politics are my very own brother and sister and I now have to admit that they are a lot of fun (despite the fact that) / although they like to argue about politics and the government.

Next are samples of my artwork at age 9:
Now this is especially embarrassing when you have siblings as artistically gifted as mine. Notice that in the first picture, the flying birds DON'T HAVE WINGS! I was nine years old, which means I definitely knew what birds looked like when they flew... oh dear. In the second picture, I am most likely drawing dinosaurs for my younger brother and the poor thing can't differentiate a long-neck from a T-Rex because they all look exactly the same! This is still a problem in my life today. Sometimes I'll draw an animal on the board, let's say it's a horse, and a student will raise his hand and say, "Miss, is that a dog?" People say that I'm creative, but it definitely doesn't show in my artistic abilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment