Friday, July 8, 2011

One year later...

Paul and I enjoyed our first year wedding anniversary together on Tuesday. We opened up a bottle of wine our friends had given us as a wedding gift, and used our fancy decanter for the first time.
The fancy castle feel was a perfect setting!
We then went out for dinner. It was a perfect evening, and the table they sat us at even reminded us of our honeymoon dinner table on the cruise ship! I'm at a loss for words because nothing truly conveys how much we love each other, are at ease around each other, can play around and fight with each other. It truly is magical and I hope the feeling continues for years to come!

Yesterday we invited some friends over for dinner. Since they had made us a home-made Persian dinner not long ago, we decided to treat them to an authentic Mexican meal. Our first stop was Jean-Talon market where we got limes and avocados for exorbitant prices (when comparing to Mexican prices of course). We also stopped at 'El Rey del Taco' to buy:
  • one kilo of 'carne al pastor' (pork meat marinated and cooked in a special way that makes it so delicious!)
  • tortillas
  • totopos (nacho chips)
  • obleas (a dulce de leche treat)
  • Totis (a snack my students used to eat in Mexico and I love!). 
We couldn't find little green tomatoes at the market since it isn't the season for them here, but we did find them in a can at the supermarket (la Costeña, if you want to buy it). 

My Mexican husband told me more than once that he didn't need any help and I should kindly just leave the kitchen already. He cooked up a feast (well, prepared more than cooked I guess, since the meat was already ready).

Side note: I just spend close to an hour trying to find a software program that would let me insert text to a picture and then import it here. I downloaded GIMP, but that program didn't even open. Something called X11 opened instead and sent me to a blank screen. Awful. So I deleted it. I then downloaded myphotoedit, and that seemed to work well when I first opened it. I tried to add text but I couldn't change the size no matter how hard I tried! So I deleted that too and you are now getting a picture without text inserts telling you which dish is which. You'll just have to try to use your imagination and figure it out. BUT if anyone out there is reading this and can help me, please let me know how! I see lots of cute pictures with drawings or text on them on other blogs!


On this table, you see: Totis, frijoles, guacamole, salsa verde (both homemade and La costeña), Corona, and random chips! These were all starters.

For the main course, we had gringas, which consisted of:

  • the Al Pastor meat I mentioned earlier
  • cheese 
  • tortillas
  • pineapple
  • cilantro
  • onion
  • lime
  • green or red salsa
Afterwards, we watched the movie 'Seven' which I had never seen before. For those of you who don't know me, I am a scaredy-cat! I went to bed really late because I kept getting the image of that sloth man's face when I was trying to fall asleep! Oh but I really did love the movie! And the food! And the friends! And the love! 

Hope your summer is just as fun, and if you know how to edit pictures easily on a mac, please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Oh c'est vraiment bon Seven!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I like the description with all details. I had such a nice time there and I am looking forward to see you very soon again :*

    ReplyDelete