Thursday, August 19, 2010

Where do I start?

I have so many things to tell you since our big move! I guess I'll go in chronological order.

Flying with a failing company is quite an adventure. Mexicana is almost out of business and we kept checking our flight status to make sure our flight was still scheduled. Luckily for us, it was and we were able to leave Mexico City on time. Just before take-off, the flight attendant says 'Welcome to flight 880 to Monterrey - LONG PAUSE - final destination Montreal'. The other passengers, as well as Paul and I, look at each other questioning whether this is supposed to happen. She comes on the speaker a little while later to explain we have to stop in Monterrey to fill up on gas. Apparently, Canada and the USA do not allow Mexicana to fill up in their country anymore because Mexicana has an exorbitant amount of debt everywhere. So we stopped in Monterrey for an hour and a half, unable to leave the airplane. Fun. Also, Paul's family had flown with Mexicana to come to our wedding a month before this and had come back telling us how amazing the food and service was... needless to say, the amazing food we got was a tiny bag of peanuts. We did get free beer though (Dos X) and I got tomato juice to add to it, so that was better than nothing, but still. We ate peanuts that day.

When we arrived in Montreal, we had to pass through immigration to explain that I would sponsor Paul to get his permanent residency. The lady we talked to was super nice and everything went rather smoothly. We have to go and actually START the paperwork tomorrow.

My family patiently waited for us and was nice enough to go out for dinner with us at midnight! My poor dad had to wake up super early the next day, but he didn't mind going out for poutine at La Banquise (check it out at www.restolabanquise.com).

The next day was spent going back and forth from our new aparment (Jessica's place) to my parents' house, hauling and unpacking suitcases and trying to find a place for everything. In one day, we did quite well, but were absolutely exhausted by the end of it! Again, thank you mom and dad for a great dinner of moules et frites! Actually, thank you Xavier who made the fries home-made!

Today we woke up very early to take the metro and bus to my new school. The journey went well and even though it's a trek (it takes a little over an hour), I think I will enjoy the time to read and relax. After getting off the bus though, we got seriously lost and walked down a wrong street - google maps' fault! Anyway, we eventually found the school, I met the principal and took a tour of the school. I also handed in and filled out some paperwork. The school looks amazing and the people I met were all very sweet! My classroom is huge!!! I am very excited to start decorating next week. I think I will stop by tomorrow just to drop off some classroom stuff I have.

After realizing how awful it was to live without a phone, Paul and I decided to go out and check out the different plans for the iPhone 4. I was pretty much sold on Telus, but then we went to Rogers and their network is a bazillion times better so we got our phones there. I also realized I just wanted an iPhone, I didn't care if it was 4 or 2 or 3 or whatever. So I got the iPhone 3GS and Paul got nothing - yet! There was a massive line up outside the MacStore to get the iPhone 4 and it was sold out everywhere we went. The super nice lady who sold us my phone told us she would call when the next shipment arrived, but she actually called 30 minutes later to tell us she had found an iPhone 4 in the store!!! So we went back and Paul got his iPhone and we are now able to communicate with the world.

We then got our metro passes in the metro and are now 'home'! It has been a busy few days and I sense it will be a busy next few months! I hope to update as much as I can!

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! It has been a new adventure allready! I guess it is nice to share all of your new experiences on your blog! Let me know what you think about the Iphone..so I can ever even think of buying one, with our salary! LOL
    I will start my blog as soon as I can...but I know it won´t be too soon. I´ll let you know. I miss you allready and hope you have a great new school year. So you´ll be communting almost 2 hours a day??

    ReplyDelete