Saturday, March 18, 2017

Day 18: Calgary, Alberta

Our adventure at the Calgary Zoo was both satisfying and disappointing. We walked through the dinosaur section and after I had told Z that they were just statues that didn’t move, the dinosaurs started moving and making sounds! Thankfully Z wasn’t scared and understood they weren’t real. It was a better experience than what I remembered as a child. A baby gorilla was born at the zoo in March and we were able to see it roll over, it was absolutely adorable! There were many other very active animals today: the lions walked around and nudged each other, the rhinoceros was eating, the bears were eating and playing in the water, etc. This is much better than I remembered animals just laying around not doing very much.

Now here’s the disappointing part, starting with the least disappointing. My husband went to get us all ice cream and I asked for a soft serve vanilla cone and he thought it was for the toddler so instead of a cone I got the ice cream in a cup. Doesn’t sound like a big deal, but I’ve discovered I only like soft serve ice cream in a cone, it just wasn’t the same in a cup. Now here’s the worst: my favourite animals are elephants. I especially like the ones at the Calgary Zoo because one of them, Maharani, was born when I was 6 years old or so and I remember her growing up. I’m sure you were able to guess the elephants are no longer at the zoo! They were relocated to Washington, DC in 2013 😢

After the zoo, the girls fell asleep in the car so we decided to drive around. We went by the house I grew up in, and then my friends’ houses they grew up in. While there, I stopped to see my friends’ moms. It was great to see them!

Finally, we had dinner with good family friends. It was so nice to see them and reminisce over old photos of our hikes!



via Tumblr http://ift.tt/2mdphe2

No comments:

Post a Comment